Landscape lighting installation is an excellent way to enhance the beauty and functionality of your outdoor space. It can increase your home's aesthetic appeal, improve safety, extend your leisure time, and add value to your property. In this article, we will explore various ways to improve your landscape lighting installation, including selecting the right type of lighting, creating an outdoor lighting design, working with landscape lighting installation companies, and maintaining your outdoor lighting.
Wave Outdoors can help you shine some light on your home and the landscape surrounding it. Our crews of licensed electricians can install everything for spot lights to inconspicuous décor lighting.
The fixtures we work with are weather resistant, safe, highly functional and our landscape lighting installation services come with some of the best warranties in the industry.
What Is Lightscaping
Landscape lighting, also called lightscaping, is the specific use of weather resistant outdoor light fixture to illuminate areas of residential or commercial landscaping in Mt. Prospect and surrounding areas. Landscape lighting services are best performed by landscape designers as they can seamlessly blend light with hardscape and softscape elements and deliver exquisite results.
Outdoor Lighting Types
Choosing the right type of outdoor lighting is crucial to the success of your landscape lighting installation. There are various types of outdoor lighting, and you should consider several factors before making a decision, including power/fuel source, type of lighting, and placement.
One of the essential factors to consider when selecting the right type of outdoor lighting is the power/fuel source. There are four main types of outdoor lighting power sources: solar, low voltage, line voltage, and gas/oil/fuel burning.
Solar lights are becoming increasingly popular due to their safety and ease of installation. They are cost-effective, require no wiring, and are environmentally friendly. However, they may not provide enough illumination in certain areas.
Low voltage lights, such as LED lights, are another popular choice for outdoor lighting installation. They are cost-effective, safe to install and operate, and offer a wide range of lighting options. Low voltage lights are perfect for highlighting specific landscape features, such as plants or trees, or illuminating pathways or stairs.
Line voltage outdoor lights, such as post lights, wall lights, and uplights, are the best choice for illuminating larger areas. These lights operate at 120 volts and require a licensed electrician to install them. They can be installed underground or enclosed in hardscape elements such as concrete.
Gas, oil, and other fuel-burning lighting, such as torches, lanterns, and fireplaces, can give your landscape a rustic or mysterious look and feel. These types of lighting fixtures require controlled burning of fuel, which can be dangerous if not installed and maintained properly.
Type of Lighting
The type of outdoor lighting you choose for your landscape lighting installation will depend on the purpose of the lighting. There are different types of outdoor lighting, including accent lighting, architectural lighting, sport court lighting, pool area lighting, patio, deck, and gazebo lighting, driveway, path, and walkway lighting, motion lighting, and inground lights.
Accent lighting is used to highlight specific softscape or hardscape elements, such as trees, flower beds, water features, or statues. Architectural lighting is meant to showcase your home's personality and style. Sport court lighting is used to illuminate sports courts or areas for outdoor activities, such as basketball or tennis. Pool area lighting is designed to make nighttime dips safer and more enjoyable. Patio, deck, and gazebo lighting are used to create an inviting outdoor living area for relaxing or entertaining. Driveway, path, and walkway lighting are used to increase safety and enhance the beauty of your landscape. Motion lighting is an excellent option for added security. Inground lights are installed below ground level and are used to create dramatic lighting effects.
The placement of outdoor lighting fixtures is crucial to the success of your landscape lighting installation. You should consider the landscape features you want to highlight and the style of your home. The lighting should complement your home's personality and style while adding visual weight to your landscape. The right placement can create stunning lighting effects, while improper placement can make the lighting look harsh and uninviting.
Landscape Lighting Benefits
There are a lot of benefits that you get with the installation of landscape lighting:
- Aesthetical – you can use an exquisite mix of lights, colors and shadows to illuminate and give visual weight to your landscape and its elements.
- Safety – landscape lighting has a two fold benefit. You can discourage intruders by making sure there are no dark corners around your house. You can also keep your step safer by illuminating pathways, stairs and patios.
- Increase your leisure time. You can enjoy the outdoor living areas even after dusk, no matter if it is for grilling or to enjoy a fun night with friends.
- Increase your house value – each feature you add to your landscape to make it more functional and enjoyable will increase the desirability and the market value of the house.
When it comes to landscape lighting, the type of lighting you choose will depend on the purpose of the lighting. There are several types of outdoor lighting that can be used to create the perfect lighting design for your outdoor space. The following is a breakdown of the different types of outdoor lighting and their uses:
- Accent Lighting: This type of lighting is used to highlight specific softscape or hardscape elements, such as trees, flower beds, water features, or statues. Accent lighting can be used to create a dramatic effect or to draw attention to specific areas of your landscape.
- Architectural Lighting: This type of lighting is meant to showcase your home's personality and style. Architectural lighting can be used to highlight unique architectural features, such as columns or archways, and to create a warm and inviting atmosphere around your home.
- Sport Court Lighting: This type of lighting is used to illuminate sports courts or areas for outdoor activities, such as basketball or tennis. Sport court lighting can make it possible to enjoy outdoor activities even after dark.
- Pool Area Lighting: Pool area lighting is designed to make nighttime dips safer and more enjoyable. Pool area lighting can be used to illuminate pool steps, waterfalls, and other features, and to create a relaxing atmosphere around your pool.
- Patio, Deck, and Gazebo Lighting: This type of lighting is used to create an inviting outdoor living area for relaxing or entertaining. Patio, deck, and gazebo lighting can be used to create a warm and welcoming atmosphere, and to highlight outdoor furniture or decor.
- Driveway, Path, and Walkway Lighting: This type of lighting is used to increase safety and enhance the beauty of your landscape. Driveway, path, and walkway lighting can be used to highlight walkways and steps, and to make it easier to navigate your outdoor space after dark.
- Motion Lighting: Motion lighting is an excellent option for added security. Motion lighting can be used to deter intruders and to alert you to any activity in your outdoor space.
- Inground Lights: Inground lights are installed below ground level and are used to create dramatic lighting effects. Inground lights can be used to highlight landscape features, such as trees or statues, and to create a unique and inviting atmosphere in your outdoor space.
You can combine different outdoor lighting types, such as low voltage and line voltage lights, to achieve virtually unlimited lighting effects. The style of landscape lighting is often dictated by its purpose. Whether you want to highlight softscape or hardscape elements, showcase your home's personality, or increase safety, there is a lighting style that can help you achieve your goals.
There are several landscape lighting appliance styles that can help you achieve every conceivable lighting effect. These include orb and sphere lights, string lights, LED strips, spotlights, flood lights, well lights, path lights, and step lights. With so many options available, you can create a truly unique and inviting outdoor space that reflects your style and personality.
Creating an Outdoor Lighting Design
Creating an outdoor lighting design is a crucial step in achieving a successful landscape lighting installation. A landscape designer can help you create a lighting plan that seamlessly blends light with hardscape and softscape elements and delivers exquisite results.
The outdoor lighting design should consider several factors, including the purpose of the lighting, the landscape features you want to highlight, the style of your home, and the placement of the lighting fixtures. The designer will work with you to create a lighting plan that meets your specific needs and enhances the beauty and functionality of your outdoor space.
One of the essential elements of outdoor lighting design is the use of layering. Layering involves using different types of lighting fixtures at different heights to create a dramatic lighting effect. The lighting plan should include a mix of ambient lighting, accent lighting, and task lighting to create a warm and inviting outdoor living area.
Ambient lighting provides overall illumination for your outdoor space and is usually provided by ceiling or wall-mounted fixtures. Accent lighting is used to highlight specific landscape features, such as trees, flowers, or water features, and is typically provided by spotlights, floodlights, or well lights. Task lighting is used for specific activities, such as grilling or reading, and is usually provided by table lamps or floor lamps.
Working with Landscape Lighting Installation Companies
Working with a professional landscape lighting installation company is essential to achieving a successful landscape lighting installation. A landscape lighting company can help you select the right type of lighting, create an outdoor lighting design, and safely install the lighting fixtures.
When selecting a landscape lighting installation company, you should consider several factors, including their experience, reputation, and qualifications. The company should have experience installing a wide range of outdoor lighting fixtures, including low voltage landscape lighting, LED lighting, recessed lighting, and security lighting. They should also have a reputation for delivering high-quality work and excellent customer service.
The landscape lighting installation company should also be licensed and insured to protect you in case of accidents or damages. They should be able to provide you with a comprehensive estimate that outlines the scope of the of the work, the materials required, and the timeline for completion.
Maintaining Your Outdoor Lighting
Maintaining your outdoor lighting is crucial to ensuring its longevity and effectiveness. Regular maintenance can also help prevent accidents and ensure the safety of your outdoor space. Here are some tips for maintaining your outdoor lighting:
- Keep the fixtures clean and free of debris. Dirt and debris can block the light and reduce its effectiveness.
- Replace burned-out bulbs promptly. Burned-out bulbs can reduce the overall effectiveness of your outdoor lighting and make it less safe.
- Check the wiring and connections regularly. Loose or damaged wiring can cause accidents or fires.
- Trim trees and bushes regularly to prevent them from blocking the light.
- Inspect the lighting fixtures for signs of wear and tear, such as cracks or rust. Replace any damaged fixtures promptly.
Landscape Lighting Services
Landscape lighting installation is an excellent way to enhance the beauty and functionality of your outdoor space. It can increase your home's aesthetic appeal, improve safety, extend your leisure time, and add value to your property. To achieve a successful landscape lighting installation, you should select the right type of lighting, create an outdoor lighting design, work with a professional landscape lighting installation company, and maintain your outdoor lighting.
At Wave Outdoors Landscape + Design, we have our own team of expert landscape designers who work closely with our experienced electricians to create a lighting design that perfectly suits your outdoor space and enhances its beauty and functionality. We take pride in our ability to seamlessly blend light with hardscape and softscape elements to deliver exquisite results.
Our crews of electricians are insured and trained to provide high-quality outdoor lighting services, including landscape lighting installation, security lighting, recessed lighting, garden lights, and landscape lights. Whether you have a small or large project, we have the expertise and experience to create the perfect lighting solution for your home.
Contact us today at (312) 772-2300 to learn more about our landscape lighting services and to schedule a consultation with our team. We are committed to delivering the highest level of service and creating a beautiful outdoor living area that you can enjoy for years to come.